Here are the beehives loaded onto our small trailer before we started for our land in Missouri. One hive was sealed with a small roll of landscape cloth inserted into the opening of the hive. Their Boardman Feeder was full of sugar-water to make sure they were fed along their journey.
The second hive was sealed with a fitted board in the hive opening. Sugar-water was also provided for those bees.
The Universe blessed us with an overcast day that kept the bees at home close to the hive, as we adjusted the openings due to inexact stacking of the two medium “supers’ above the brood box. We were patient, and each time we slid the supers or broodbox, we gave the bees time to calm down and to reassure their queen.
When it was time to load the hives onto the trailer, my husband made sure everything was secure and we lifted them onto a garden wagon. They were heavy! The second hive was really, really heavy. The honey flow has been going in North Texas for about a month, and it was extremely hard to lift the second hive.
On our travels, one of the jars of sugar-water fell out of the Boardman feeder. We stopped for more sugar, water, and small-mouth canning jars. We secured the jars with duct tape. We readjusted the alignment of one of the hives.
We made it to Missouri, across the creek, and then parked the trailer on our land.
The bees spent the night contained in their hives. The next day, we bought 4 x 4’s and cinderblocks. My husband built hive support high enough to keep the skunks from having easy access to the hives. The challenge was building it on a slope. You can see the wonderfully hilly land up there.
Here you can see the slope of the land and the 4 x 4 supports atop cinder blocks.
We loaded each hive separately on the garden wagon and rolled it to the elevated hive support. Then we lifted it onto the 4 x 4s.
There are also some juniper trees in the background and more all around the perimeter of the mown area. This turned out to be good cover when the bees got upset over their house-moving experience. Walking to the junipers enabled us to hide and to swish the branches to confuse the bees.
They settled down nicely once moving day was over.
Since the honey flow is just starting in Missouri, we optimistically put two additional small supers (shown in between the two hives) on top of our already heavy beehives. We will see how full they are when we return at the beginning of the summer. (We removed the duct tape from the jar of sugar-water on the hive on the left.)
Adventures for second-year beekeepers.
© 2013 Kathryn Hardage